7 Reasons to take English
- Improve your writing and communication skills.
- Develop your critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Read complex material with understanding and insight.
- Skill-build for other college courses, transfer, and career success.
- Appreciate and understand literature.
- Reap the personal benefits! Think and communicate better in all areas of your life.
- English is required for the AA/AS and for transfer.
Types of English courses:
- Composition & reading
- Literature & creative writing
- Other skill-building courses
Composition courses are designed to develop your ability to write, read, and think critically at a college level. English 100 is required to get an AA/AS degree or to transfer, and some students take English 95 to prepare for English 100. Literature courses teach you to appreciate, analyze, and write about novels, short stories, poetry and drama. Skill-building courses include Eng 83 (sentence skills/grammar) and Eng 82 (vocabulary).
Consider being an English major!
Learn more about the Associate in Arts in English for Transfer at Los Medanos College.